Wednesday, July 22, 2009

40 years along...

Before I forget. I joined the U. S. Navy 40 years ago today. I was 17 years old, getting off a bus at Naval Training Center, San Diego, and scared stiff. The sailors who met the bus made my high school gym coaches seem like weenies.They were loud, coarse, and scary. What the hell had I gotten myself into? It didn't take long to decide that I had made the biggest mistake of my life (all 17 years of it!).

I had no idea--I could not have conceived--that 20 years later I would look fondly on that day as the day I first put on the uniform that I was about to retire.

Today, 40 years later, I still smell the salt air at Nimitz Island, I still hear the martial music blaring from loud-speakers as seaman recruits learn to march to John Phillip Sousa's cadences, and I remember a lot of 17 and 18 year old kids setting out on their greatest adventure.

No comments: