Saturday, February 08, 2014

Double Dog Dare

So, for the last week or so, I have heard TV and radio journalists discussing the President flipping the bird, rhetorically, at Congress in the State of The Union address.

Here is what the President said:

" ...what I offer tonight is a set of concrete, practical proposals to speed up growth, strengthen the middle class and build new ladders of opportunity into the middle class. Some require congressional action, and I'm eager to work with all of you. But America does not stand still, and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that's what I'm going to do."

That really does not translate to "screw you, I'll do what I want." However, I have pretty much given up on the media's ability to 'get' nuance and understand -- and report -- the difference between telling Congress, "I want to work with you but I also have a responsibility to the people who voted for me and I will meet that responsibility however I can," and saying "screw you."

My mother once pointed out that FDR's "court-packing" proposal, decried by the GOP as unconstitutional, was anything but. My mother really liked FDR by the way. FDR proposed and defended a constitutional amendment to modify and fix the number of justices who sat on the court. It was debated and voted down and FDR dropped it. Where was the constitution violated?

Similarly, Obama proposes to use his executive powers to effect changes he thinks will improve things for Americans. His executive orders have effect if Congress let's them stand. They can legislate them away. No constitutional crisis here folks. Keep walking...

But, if Congress -- the GOP in particular -- wants to vote Obama's executive orders out of existence, then they have to go on record as voting to screw over American workers, something they go to great pains to avoid by legislative devices like the filibuster and distractions like "repealing Obamacare." The President has double-dog dared 'em. Let's see what happens.

And let's see if the media start paying real attention.

No comments: